It’s going to be WILD out there tomorrow. With all the snow coming down tomorrow morning during the thunder storm, we’re thinking there’s a pretty good chance for some decent sledding, if not SKIING.
So, where should you head to, and what’s your weapon of choice?
I did a little internet surfing and WeLoveDC author surveying, and here’s what we came up with (but disclaimer, do not trespass! Please check any signs and be cautious of your boundaries, and ESPECIALLY of oncoming traffic, duh).
Sledding Hills by Location
In the city:
- Meridian Hill Park (NW, U Street) *Recommended by WLDC Author Tom
- Fort Reno (NW by American U.)
- 3545 Williamsburg Lane, NW (NW, Cleveland Park)
- Georgetown University’s old school of dentistry (NW, Burleith)
- Iwo Jima (Arlington) *Recommended by WLDC Author Katie
- Mt. Reston (Reston)
- Suicide Hill (Alexandria – Martha Custis Dr. & Preston Rd)
- Hill at Mason District Park (Annandale)
- GW Masonic Temple (Alexandria)
- Fairfax County: Best Local Sledding Hills[pdf] (Official!)
- Special recommendation from WLDC’s John: “I’ve always always always wanted to take the MASSIVE hill down Walter Reed that hits the bottom at 4 mile run near Shirlington. It’s more or less a ski ramp. You’d need traffic control as you don’t want to cross the intersection with an oncoming snow plow, but regardless, it would be AWESOME.”
Improvised Sledding Vessels
- Trash bag
- Trash can lid
- Laundry basket
- Large cookie sheet?
- Cafeteria tray (… if only)
- Last resort: sled
Where else??? What else??? Tell us.