Voting in Virginia

I couldn’t have asked for better weather this morning as I left the house to vote. Crisp and autumnal, with bright sunshine over the horizon. The line stretched the length of the football field and track next to the school, around 300 feet or so. I arrived on at the corner of 29th and the parking lot at 7:05am this morning. I would estimate between two and four hundred people in the line ahead of me, had I thought ahead, I might have counted bodies, but I was busy deciding who would get my vote.

I was given the option of taking the Democratic and Republican sample ballot from some party flacks that were handing them out, but I passed. I did, however, buy a cup of coffee from the PTA of the Abingdon School who were selling coffee and pastry at the end of the lot.

An election official came by and told us we’d have about a 70 minute wait to vote from where we were standing. Would that her prediction were true! I waited with a jubilant Red Sox Fan and a young couple who were late for work, each glad to be there, but none glad to wait for what turned out to be 90 minutes.

Though tempted to drop trou as Sean Suggested, I kept clothed, held my nose, and voted. I voted in position 167 (on the A-K roster, the shorter of the lines) at 8:38am this morning. We vote in Arlington County on WINvote touch screens. My request for a paper ballot was denied. So I voted on the touchscreen, tapped in my write-in for the president, and hoped. Who knows if it will get counted?

Thankfully, traffic was light on the 395 into DC, so I was only 30 minutes late for work.

This post appeared in its original form at DC Metblogs

I live and work in the District of Columbia. I write at We Love DC, a blog I helped start, I work at Technolutionary, a company I helped start, and I’m happy doing both. I enjoy watching baseball, cooking, and gardening. I grow a mean pepper, keep a clean scorebook, and wash the dishes when I’m done. Read Why I Love DC.

Facebook Twitter Flickr 

Comments are closed.