‘SR 520 Traffic’
courtesy of ‘Oran Viriyincy’
Attention all drivers – if you plan on heading anywhere near the Southeast Freeway this weekend, you might have a few detours in your future. Part of the freeway will be off-limits to cars and trucks, according to WTOP.
DDOT is in the process of demolishing a couple ramps leading to RFK stadium, so look out for ramp closures after the I-295 exit.
“What that means for motorists is that they will have to stay to the right and take the I-295 exit for the 11th Street Bridges, or exit earlier,” says.
DDOT spokesperson John Lisle says that a good alternate route to get across the Anacostia River would be the South Capitol Street Bridge. The goal of this entire project is to tear down concrete while making sure there aren’t any cars under the bridge, hence the closures. They’re a precautionary measure. Good call, DDOT, good call.
All scheduled work is between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. on Saturday, but if the work isn’t done by then, it will continue on into Sunday.
Need alternate routes to get around? DDOT has posed the following:
To reach Pennsylvania Avenue:
- Take the Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue exit
- Turn left on Good Hope Road, SE
- Turn left on Minnesota Avenue, SE
- Detour Ends – Turn either right or left on Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
DDOT has also suggested that drives avoid any detours by taking these following alternate routes:
- From the SW Freeway, take the South Capitol Street exit
- Cross the South Capitol Street (Frederick Douglas) Bridge
- Take the Suitland Parkway Exit
- Take the ramp for I-295 North