You may recall from previous years that July is Rickey Month. July’s over, but tonight the DC Craft Bartenders Guild wraps things up for 2011 with its Rickey Month Party at Jack Rose.
Finalists, announced via email on Friday, are after the jump, along with a few tasting notes from our team on the ones we tried.
- Gina Chersevani, PS 7’s, Rapture of the Rickey (made with green tea infused with pineapple and yuzu, it’s surprisingly bright and crisp for a bourbon Rickey, with a vanilla finish from the Woodford Reserve)
- David Fritzler, Tryst, Summer Lovin’ Rickey
- Julia Hurst, the Passenger, Rhubarbra Streisand (tastes a lot like rhubarb pie, with the Woodford Reserve’s vanilla note accented by extra vanilla and spices)
- Alexandra Nichols, Estadio, Riquitita (Brittany wrote this one up Friday)
- Jason Strich, Rasika, Plum Rickey
- Chantal Tseng, Tabard Inn, August Rickey (berry-forward, with blue plum brandy and a garnish of frozen blueberries)
The contest and party announcement seemed to come from nowhere this year. We’re still asking around to find out what went wrong with the PR, but I guess we can’t be too surprised that bartenders, of all people, aren’t the most organized planners around (and they make it up by serving us drinks). Jenn, Brittany, and I will all be at the party tonight, and we hope to see you all there.
Also, yay! (content warnings: Japanese, WTF, earworm)