Merry Christmas Virginia.
For the majority of its residents, Virginia becomes a better, healthier and down right less stinky place to live tomorrow. Starting Tuesday, December 1st (i.e. TOMORROW), smoking will no longer be allowed in Virginia bars and restaurants. There are some exceptions that do make sense and I’m sure there will be a handful of bars that put in the work to provide for a completely separate smoking area that is ventilated, etc., but for the most part, all bars and restaurants in Arlington, Alexandria and beyond will be smoke-free starting tomorrow. Virginia joins DC and 23 other states in banning smoking in bars and restaurants. After the jump, you can even see my top ten list!
People who hate smelling like crap, killing themselves slowly with second-hand smoke and having to take a shower and dry clean their suit just because they stopped by for a quick beer shall rejoice all across the commonwealth (and especially in this area). Just like in DC, smokers will probably head outside the bars for smoke breaks. But if you don’t smoke, you can stay warmly-put in the bar and enjoy your beverages all night long while your lungs breathe a giant sigh of relief!
If you want to see all of the details about the smoking ban and the exceptions that allow some establishments to allow for smoking if they meet certain criteria, see the VA FAQ here.
To celebrate, I present to you:
Karl’s Top Ten Reasons to Be Happy on 12/1
10. Your eyes will no longer be dried out and screaming in pain after hanging out at a bar full of smokers.
9. Women no longer need to spray Febreze in their hair if they are going from a smoking bar to another event to mask the stench of awesomeness.
8. Your bed sheets and pillow won’t smell for days after you crash in your bed at 3am from a long night out.
7. If you are a smoker, you will smoke much less. Especially if you are a “social smoker” because your smoking friends won’t light up with every drink.
6. Your jackass friends won’t be able to blow smoke in your face when you give them crap about smoking beside you.
5. You can wear something to a bar without having to wash it immediately after – you can wear that sweater or suit MORE THAN ONCE. And jackets? Woah my god…my jackets will not stink ALL THE TIME.
4. You will no longer pick up your jeans off the floor in the morning to give them the smell test and fall over backwards after taking a deep breath – determining that they can indeed NOT be worn again in good conscience.
3. You can hang out in Arlington again!
2. You will be able to breathe without swallowing mouthful after mouthful of nasty, toxic ridden smoke, thereby prolonging your life, health and happiness.
1. YOU WON’T SMELL LIKE SHIT!