10 Reasons to Register for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Registration is now open for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on June 5th, one of the area’s biggest events that raises millions of dollars for local community groups.  Here at We Love DC (a pro-boobs organization), we think the event is so worthwhile that we’ve compiled the top ten reasons you should sign up for it:

10. You don’t even have to show up! You can register to run or walk the 5K, but you can also Sleep In for the Cure.  And you still get a t-shirt out of it, while raising money for breast cancer treatment.  All you non-runners out there– you can now participate in a charity run that doesn’t involve running!

9. You’ll be running for women everywhere. When you see the “In Memory Of” and “In Celebration Of” tags everywhere on race day, you’ll be reminded that virtually everyone knows someone that’s been affected by breast cancer.  You’re running for mothers, sisters, daughters, girlfriends, wives, aunts, friends and co-workers everywhere.

8. You can be a part of DC’s largest athletic event.  Last year, 45,000 people participated (by either walking, running, or sleeping in) in the Race for the Cure, and 50,000 are expected this year. And not only is it the biggest race in DC, it’s the largest 5K in the country.

Photo courtesy of
‘pink sneaks’
courtesy of ‘oddlittlebird.’

7. You can double your impact. If you work for one of these companies, your employer will match your donation to the cause.  And your employer’s donation counts towards your fundraising total.

6. You’ll save money if you sign up now. If you register by tomorrow, you’ll save $5 with the early bird discount.  And you can volunteer your time to race set-up or registration to participate for free.

5. You’re running with survivors. Approximately 4,000 breast cancer survivors participate in the race.  And when you hear the remarkable survivor stories, it’s even more inspiration to cross the finish line.

4. You get help and rewards for fundraising. Not great at asking people for money?  The Race for the Cure has some tools to help.  And if you meet fundraising targets, you get fun rewards like bags and hats and even free coffee!

3. It’s special. There are 130 Race for the Cure events around the world, but the DC-based Global Race for the Cure is the signature race in the international series.  The District provides an international stage for the event– last year, there were 44 international teams in the race.

2. The cause, globally. Breast cancer is the most frequently-diagnosed cancer in women worldwide, claiming a new victim every 68 seconds.  Komen for the Cure provides education and breast health services in regions where few resources exist.

1. The cause, locally. The money raised by the Komen Global Race for the Cure has a huge local impact.  The organization has invested $6.5 million in grants in 2009 and 2010 to local organizations in the National Capital Area.  Up to 75% of the funds raised go towards local education, outreach and support, while the remaining 25% go towards Komen’s work elsewhere around the world.  So know that your registration and fundraising is not only going to a worthwhile cause, but it’s staying in our community.

We hope to see you out there on June 5!

Shannon grew up in the greater DC area/Maryland suburbs, went to Virginia for college and grad school (go Hoos!), and settled in DC in 2006. She’s an urban planner who loves transit (why yes, that is her dressed as a Metro pylon for Halloween), cities, and all things DC. Email her at Shannon (at) WeLoveDC.com!

One thought on “10 Reasons to Register for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure