This afternoon, Eleanor Holmes Norton released the specifics of the McCain-Tester Bill designed to make it much easier to acquire and carry a firearm in the District. The bill’s provisions include:
- Concealed carry for all residents.
- City may regulate, but not outright prohibit, the carrying of guns in public.
- Repeals the ban on assault weapons, including .50 cal weapons.
- Prohibits property owners from banning tenants from having guns on premises.
- Prevents the District from making changes to its gun laws henceforth
- Repeals prohibition of 10+ round magazines.
- Repeals the Registration requirements.
- Repeals prohibition against certain categories of firearm owners, including the mentally ill.
- Repeals requirement for gun training.
- May permit sales between individuals without background checks.
- Repeals design safety standards.
- Repeals requirement for ballistics testing.
- Reduces penalties if a child is injured by a negligently stored weapon.
Feel safer yet?