The Phillies will not be in Washington for the Nationals’ home opener in 2011.
I repeat: The Phillies will not be in Washington for the Nationals’ home opener in 2011.
Instead, the Atlanta Braves will face the Washington Nationals in Washington’s 78th home opener since 1901 on Thursday, March 31.
I know what you’re thinking: Regular season baseball in March? What gives?
During the off-season The Commissioner’s Special Committee for On-Field Matters agreed to begin the regular season earlier and during the week to avoid playing World Series games in November.
During the 2011 season, the Nationals will host 12 homestands, three of which last 10 games a piece (July 1-10, August 16-25 and September 2-11).
The 12 homsetands include seven weekend sets against division rivals:
- The New York Mets from July 29-31 and Sept. 2-4
- The Philadelphia Phillies from Aug. 19-21
- The Atlanta Braves from March 31-April 3
- The Florida Marlins from May 13-15 and Sept. 16-18
Here are a few home game season highlights to mark on the 2011 calendar when you get the chance:
- The Battle of the Beltway continues when the Orioles visit from May 20-22
- The Phillies celebrate Memorial Day in Washington on May 30
- Interleague play rolls on with the Seattle Mariners from June 21-23
- Happy 4th! The Chicago Cubs visit from July 4-7
- The L.A. Dodgers wrap up the dog days of Summer on Labor Day, Sept. 5
The full schedule is now available at Nationals.com.