We’ve all had a Saturday morning where we’ve woken up parched, head throbbing and stomach gurgling for something heavy and delicious to cure a bad hangover. Granted I tried Eric Brannon’s breakfast burrito for dinner (who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner?), but I’d imagine on a weekend morning hungover or not, this burrito would really hit the spot. It’s easy enough to make, and certainly don’t feel obligated to eat it before noon. You’ll find the full recipe after the jump.
‘Walk of shame burrito from Ted’s Bulletin’
courtesy of ‘bonappetitfoodie’
The recipe is divided into three parts: the steak marinade, the green chili sauce that goes on top of the burrito and the actual burrito itself. It’s easy enough to figure this out, but you can start this recipe off by making the marinade for the steak and then making the green chili sauce, followed by the whole burrito. For the hash browns, yes, I suppose you could use frozen ones, but it would also be really easy to shred up some fresh potatoes in the food processor before frying them up. I won’t think less of you if you’re not able to polish off one of these burritos by yourself. This is a breakfast of champions!
Eric Brannon’s Walk of Shame Burrito (serves 1)
Ingredients for the Burrito Steak Marinade (yields 4 portions):
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 1/2 Limes
2 1/2 Sliced Shallots
1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt & Pepper
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 lb. Flank Steak (skirt steak)
1. Clean fat from flank steak.
2. Mix all ingredients together, including squeezing the limes. (Authors note: the chef says to leave the limes sliced in half in with the marinade. Try to get most of the juice out, but leaving the limes in the marinade with the peel will add flavor)
3. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for an hour.
4. After marinating, slice into strips and grill until cooked through.
Ingredients for Green Chili Sauce (Yields 2 Cups):
1/4 Cup Spanish Onion, Small Dice
1/4 Cup Roasted Red Pepper, Peeled, Small Dice
1/2 Cup Roasted Poblano Pepper, Peeled, Small Dice
1 Teaspoon Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1/2 Tablespoon Butter
1/2 Tablespoons Rubbed Sage
1/2 Tablespoons Cumin
1/4 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne
1/4 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1 Turn Cracked Pepper
1/2 Tablespoons Oregano
1/2 Tablespoons Thyme
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1/4 Cup Cold Water
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
Instructions for the Green Chili Sauce:
1. Combine butter, oil, and garlic in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add Spanish Onion, Roasted Red Pepper, and Roasted Poblano Pepper and cook until tender.
2. Add Rubbed Sage, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Cayenne, Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Thyme, and Chicken Stock to the pot and allow it to come to a boil.
3. Using a wisk and a separate bowl, mix cornstarch with cold water making a slurry.
4. Add slurry to boiling sauce. Allow to simmer approximately 20-30 minutes or until thick.
5. Remove from heat and enjoy over the burrito.
Ingredients for the Walk of Shame Burrito (serves 1):
1/2 Cup Hashbrowns
1/2 Cup Green Chili Sauce (from above recipe)
4 oz. Flank Steak (from above recipe)
1/8 Cup Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Large Tortilla
1. Scramble 2 eggs, and fry hashbrowns until crispy brown on both sides.
2. Place scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, steak, shredded cheese, and 1/4 cup green chili sauce inside the tortilla and roll up.
3. Pour remaining 1/4 cup green chili sauce on top of the assembled burrito with some slices of tomatoes and the avocado.