Clearly I’ve been on a bit of an Italian food kick lately. As well as a ragu binge. But is there anything better than a huge, warm pot of zesty, savory tomato sauce cooking away while it’s cold outside? Chef Ari Gejdenson’s recipe for beef ragu at Acqua al 2 is simple and delicious. Click through for the full recipe.
Chef Ari Gejdenson’s Recipe for Beef Ragu
2 normal-sized carrots
1 stalk of celery
4 red onions
1/2 bunch Italian parsley
1/2 bunch fresh basil
2 sprigs rosemary
2 lbs. ground beef
16 oz. canned peeled Italian tomatoes
3 cups red wine
3 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoon black pepper
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Cut fresh vegetables and herbs into small pieces, ready to be put in food processor.
2. Beginning with carrots, put all vegetables into food processor. Once vegetables have been processed into small pieces, move vegetable mix to sauce pot.
3. Saute vegetables in olive oil until browned.
4. Once vegetables have browned, add ground beef, stirring frequently.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook covered over low flame until fat has risen to the top and begun to decrease.
8. Add red wine and allow to simmer until wine has reduced.
9. Puree canned tomatoes.
10. Once wine has reduced, add canned peeled tomatoes and allow to simmer for 1 hour.
11. Serve sauce over pasta of choice, adding parmesan to taste.