Move over, quinoa. Sayonara, root vegetables of winter. This bright salad recipe from chef Tony Chittum combines the sweet flavors of apples and dates, with the savory notes from blue cheese, farro, walnuts and brussels sprouts. It’s a simple and straight forward recipe, but elegant and filling. Click through for the full recipe.
Tony Chittum’s Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Local Apple, Farro, Black Walnuts, Blue Cheese & Dates
2 cups brussels sprouts, blanched and shaved thin
1 cup farro, blanched and chilled
1 gala apple, cored and sliced thin
1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced thin
8 dates, pitted and halved
1/2 cup black walnuts, roasted and cooled
1/2 cup buttermilk blue cheese, crumbled
2 scallions, sliced thin
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Mix sprouts, farro, walnuts, blue cheese and scallions in a mixing bowl.
2. In a small mixing bowl, mix vinegar, EVOO and mustard to make the dressing.
3. Mix the dressing into the sprout mix and adjust the seasoning.
4. Shingle the salad mix with the sliced apples on four salad plates.
5. Top each salad with four date halves.