Ah, breakfast. Some say the most important meal of the day. So why not spruce it up a bit, ditch the usual bowl of cereal and start the day off right with something a little decadent? After the jump you’ll find chef Takashi Ohseki’s recipe for ricotta-stuffed french toast that’s on the current brunch menu at Cork Wine Bar. Bring out the maple syrup and roll up your sleeves for this one.
Cork Wine Bar’s Brioche French Toast
6 cups milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups Ricotta
Zest of one orange
1/2 cup sugar
1. Pour milk in mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. Pass the eggs in sieve and whisk into milk.
2. In a separate bowl, add the zest of 1 orange and the 1/2 cup of sugar to the 4 cups of ricotta.
3. Sandwich 2 tablespoons of ricotta between slices of brioche. Soak in batter and make sure the bread is fully soaked.
4. Deep fry at 300 degrees in cooking oil.
5. Serve with cherry compote and powdered sugar.