The Metro board today met to consider some station names and changes to be made ahead of the next redesign of the map and authorized a number of changes to stations you may know and love. Here’s the skinny, straight from Metro:
- Navy Yard becomes Navy Yard-Ballpark.
- King Street becomes King St-Old Town.
- Waterfront-SEU will drop SEU, because the university no longer exists.
- Forest Glen will be shown on the map with the universal “H” symbol to indicate the location of Holy Cross Hospital.
- Foggy Bottom and Medical Center will also be shown with “H” symbols reflecting proximity of hospitals.
- New York Ave-Florida Ave-Gallaudet U will be renamed “NoMa-Gallaudet U.” “New York Ave” will be shown as a secondary name for one-year to assist customers during the transition.
Four stations were unaltered, due to public familiarity with their names, despite their length:
- Georgia Ave-Petworth
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
The new names will take effect next year when the June 2012 Metro Map hits the streets. The cost to rename the stations is estimated to be approximately $400,000, though no formal figure is available.